Register for event

POTSPONED -NSW LATITUDE: CPD 2 - Urban Waterway Master Class

POTSPONED -NSW LATITUDE: CPD 2 - Urban Waterway Master Class
Join AILA NSW for the second Latitude CPD Course - an Urban Waterways Master Class and Field Trip presented by Martin O'Dea


COVID-19 UPDATE:


Dear AILA member,

AILA NSW would like to advise that this great event has been postponed until further notice in the light of the restrictions in place due to the COVID-19.


Rest assured we are not cancelling this event but just focusing for the moment on finding either a safer way to deliver the topic to our members or delay it for a few weeks or months until we can all meet again safely!

If you are interested in joining the event, please feel free to still register here so we can be in touch directly when we update the event details and so you won’t miss out. Thank you again for your on-going support to AILA through this challenging time. Please email us at nsw@aila.org.au if you wish to register for this event in the future.


Take care, the AILA NSW Chapter



AILA NSW is proud to bring our members a new CPD Program of workshop sessions with a variety of knowledgeable presenters on an array of interesting and relevant topics.
For our second session, Martin O'Dea, Associate Director at CLOUSTON Associates, will bring us an Urban Waterway Management Master Class and Field Trip

An Urban Waterway Management Masterclass


Despite being one of the driest continents on earth, our urban waterways are still largely engineered to remove water as fast as possible. As landscape architects we need to help slow down our urban storm-water, trap it and use it to create a cool green city.

This master Class is a structured workshop looking at a range of issues that effects this complex problem. It will look at the bigger picture, including ideas of the green and blue grid, sponge cities, and the water sensitive city. This will be followed up with an overview of innovative international, interstate and Sydney case studies.The second part of the day will be an afternoon tour of key case studies in the Sydney Basin.

What you'll learn


- How do we use it or lose it? – maximising urban storm-water runoff to re-hydrate the landscape and build cool green cities.
- Sponge Cities - How do we create a sponge city when Sydney is built on clay?
- The value of this vital blue component of the “Green and Blue” grid for recreation, environmental services and carbon capture.
- Planning for public use - How to work with engineers who may only be focused the 1% storm event and forget about livability and how these creek spaces are used the remaining 99% of the time
- Dealing with conflicting issues of riparian corridor protection, Fire asset clearance zones, and impacts of rain-gardens, flood detention basins and gravity sewer systems.
- The value of water, who actually owns it, and the legislative barriers that hinder its re-use.
- How water can tell a story and give identity to a place
- Understanding the role of rain-gardens and wetlands in the urban water-cycle
- Climate change impacts, adaptation and mitigation strategies including, managing urban heat island effects and sea level rise issues.
- Examining these issues with case studies including the London Olympics Queen Elizabeth Park, South Creek valley, Sydney Olympic Park, Sydney Park, The Ponds, Cintra Park, Blacktown Sports Centre, One Central and the Warrnambool Roof to tap system in Victoria.

Martin O’Dea believes that good design is not just about how good it looks but how well it works. At a strategic level it is making the right decisions.  At the detailed level it is contributing to a positive environment for all. Martin is recognised as an accomplished designer and award winning Registered Landscape Architect who has convincingly conveyed complex design ideas for over 30 years.


Date: Tues 17 March | Workshop 9:00am-12:30pm, Bus tour 12:30pm-5pm
Location: Workshop at Workspace 365 Meeting Rooms, 20 Bonds Street, Sydney - Bus tour to visit site locations The Ponds, Sydney Olympic Park and Sydney Park, Alexandria
Cost: $300 inc GST for members, $400 inc GST for non-members
CPD accrued for attendance: 14 Points Formal 

Cost includes morning, afternoon tea and lunch. Register your place now!

Martin O’Dea believes that good design is not just about how good it looks but how well it works. At a strategic level it is making the right decisions.  At the detailed level it is contributing to a positive environment for all. Martin is recognised as an accomplished designer and award winning Registered Landscape Architect who has convincingly conveyed complex design ideas for over 30 years.


When
17/03/2020 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Where
Workspace 365 Meeting Rooms 20 Bond St SYDNEY NSW 2000 AUSTRALIA
 

Register for event

Please sign in to your AILA member or contact profile account below. If you do not already have an account, please create a new account to proceed.

Sign In