Presentation 1: External use of timber and finishes
This presentation will describe and highlight the key factors that need to be considered and addressed to design and specify for successful external timber use and application. These will include, but not be limited to: extent/degree of weather exposure; basic material properties (wood, connections); environmental considerations; and finishes and maintenance.
Some case studies will be referenced to highlight specific issues.
After this presentation participants learning outcomes will be:
- Describe the key considerations that impact on successful use of timber externally
- Understand the factors effecting timber performance externally
- Understand the key timber properties and details for successful performance of timber and wood products used externally
Presenter: Colin MacKenzie, FIE Aust; CPEng; NPER; RPEQ – Timber Queensland & MacKenzie Consulting
Presentation 2: Specification of timber coatings
To increase the lifespan of timber, many species need to be coated. But, with so many different timber coatings available, it can be confusing to choose the right one. Design is one of the most important factors when deciding on a coating, as your choice will determine what you, and the client, wants the timber to look like now, and into the future. This presentation will give you greater confidence in specifying timber coatings by explaining;
- Describe what coating options are available
- Name factors to consider when choosing a coating
- Explain why maintenance is important
Presenter: Amanda Chalmers, Brand Manager, Trade - Intergrain
Date: Thursday 26 March 2015
Time: 7:45am – 9:30am
Venue: Place Design Group, 131 Robertson Street, Fortitude Valley
CPD points: 1.5
Cost: free for AILA members,$40.00 for non-AILA members
Light refreshments will be served.
This event is supported by: