“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.” Margaret Mead
Here are just some of the activities that AILA, with the support of our volunteers, has been working on, made possible by your membership contributions we:
• Have been recruiting a new CEO to provide continued leadership to AILA. We received some very strong applications and will be conducting second interviews shortly.
• Are strengthening our partnerships with allied organisations. In light of the devastating bush fires we are in discussions with the Australian Institute of Architects who are taking on the administration of the Architects Assist site and reviewing how landscape architects can be involved in the campaign. We are also bringing the boards of the Planning Institute of Australia and AILA together early this year to share strategic priorities, jointly advocacy (including our climate change and bush fire response), the registration processes, our Reconciliation Action Plan, university course accreditations, and the Urban Design Awards.
• Are reviewing our Applicant and Mentor Guide in advance of an anticipated broader review of the AILA registration process.
• Finalising AILA’s Carbon Positive Design Position Statement
• Have contributed to The Sustainable cities and regions: 10 year strategy to enable urban systems transformation is a cross-sectoral, national plan for achieving sustainable cities and communities across Australia by 2030. Produced by Future Earth and the Australian Council of Sciences, launched at the State of Australian Cities conference in Perth in December. Link to the full document is available here.
• Finalising our Fellows Nomination Criteria and our CPD Policy as well as trialling a new CPD program in NSW.
• And recruiting ambassadors for our Be a Landscape Architect Campaign
What you can do to provide leadership:
o Renew your AILA membership
o Recommend a friend or colleague joins AILA
o Register to be an ambassador for our Be a Landscape Architect campaign
Thank you to all of those members who completed the 2019 AILA Membership Survey. We’re grateful for the time you took to give us feedback so we can provide better services to members. You can read a summary report of the results by clicking here.
AILA National Director