Register for event

QLD - Beautiful Parks

QLD - Beautiful Parks
QLD - Beautiful Parks

- a future beautiful park for Brisbane: Howard Smith Wharves

- a Korean perspective: Songdo Central Park and ChonGae Canal


A Future Beautiful Park


SPEAKER ONE - Paul Hardyman - Director, Design, URBIS

 

"In the late 1930’s construction of Brisbane’s iconic Story Bridge was completed. The construction zone under its northern approach (between the Brisbane River and a 25-30m high cliff) was transformed into a key part of the city’s port infrastructure known as Howard Smith Wharves. The Wharves operated until the 1980’s. They have remained unused and derelict since then. Brisbane City Council (BCC) launched a public tender process in 2012 whereby a 99 year lease of the site was offered to a developer to reinvigorate the 3.43Ha site with 500m of river frontage. Urbis and Woods Bagot (Architects) teamed with entrepreneurs Adam Flaskas and Elisha Bickle (HSW Nominees) to reimagine this significant heritage place. Our bid won and the project is now about to begin construction in the coming months.

 

Maximising Open Space

A key factor to the success of the bid was that 80% of the site is maintained as public open space. Of the remaining 20% the heritage buildings occupy approximately half, and two new buildings cover the remainder of the site. New Exhibition building and boutique hotel buildings are proposed.

 

Heritage

Four existing heritage wharf buildings and several WWII air raid shelters are retained to form key components of this food and beverage / entertainment based solution.

 

Active transport

The site integrates one of the city’s most desirable and heavily used commuter and recreational pedestrian and cycle routes between the adjacent CBD the reconstructed Riverwalk at New Farm.

 

Urban agriculture

Urban agriculture plays an important role in the look and feel of the site as well as the food and beverage offer. The journey from farm to plate is made very clear.

 

Rivers edge

The key principles of Brisbane City Council’s River’s Edge Strategy are incorporated into the project. These include play opportunities, connectivity and embracing the site’s inherent sense of place."

A Korean Prospective

 

SPEAKER TWO - Shaun Walsh, AILA QLD President

AILA QLD President Shaun Walsh  recently visited Seoul in South Korea Whilst there he visited the ChonGae Canal redevelopment, which demolished the freeway to expose the original central Seoul waterway as a major recreation and entertainment spine for the city.  In addition he visited the very large and modern Songdo Central Park, on the outskirts of Seoul.  This is the key space in a master planned city on reclaimed portside land, and surprises with the level of naturalness incorporated into the design.  His talk will focus on lots of images and his observations as a visitor to these modern Korean parks. 

Date - Wednesday 2 March 2016 - 7am - 9am
Venue - Room A1 - Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre (Enter from Grey Street)
Price - 
AILA Member $50AILA Student Member $30Non-Members $70Student Non-Member $35
CPD - 1.5

When
3/2/2016 7:00 AM - 9:00 AM
Where
Room A1 - Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre Merivale Street & Glenelg Street SOUTH BRISBANE QLD 4101
 

Register for event

Please sign in to your AILA member or contact profile account below. If you do not already have an account, please create a new account to proceed.

Sign In