AILA NSW is proud to bring our members a new CPD Program of workshop sessions with a variety of knowledgeable presenters on an array of interesting and relevant topics. For our fifth session, Leonard Slabbert, Principal Town Planner at Tract Consultants brings us a Planning Course for LAs - Focus on Approval Processes.
When working on a new project, a successful Landscape Architect needs to know not only the inner workings of their profession but also those of other consultants involved as part of the development and approval process. In NSW this includes a basic understanding of the NSW Planning system and the complexities and factors to be considered as part of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.
This masterclass will give you a high-level overview of the NSW planning system and how it links up with the LA profession. We will use some interactive tools to explore ways of doing the basic planning searches to help guide the development process.
What you'll learn:
- A breakdown of the NSW Planning system;
- The different kinds of planning approvals in the context of the legislative framework;
- Identifying any relevant planning constraints and development controls;
- Accessing basic planning information online and tracking a development application;
- What is typically required during a planning approval process, including development applications (DA), review of environmental factors (REF), and statement of environmental effects (SEE);
- Understanding what follows after development approval has been granted.
This masterclass is valuable if your role includes…
- Consultant coordination as the project lead;
- Engaging with Planners and Architects during the design and approval process;
- Working on projects which may have planning constraints – such as heritage items, threatened flora & fauna, and/or environmental hazards;
- Preparing visual representations, mapping and landscaping for developments on behalf of developers and Local and State Government.
Date: Thursday 4th June 8:30am-12:30pm
Location: Online Via Zoom
Cost: $200 inc GST for members, $300 inc GST for non-members
CPD accrued for attendance : 7 points formal
Make sure you register quickly as we only have a very limited number of spots available!
By registering for this event you are subject to AILA's Delegate Conditions. Contact the Event Manager with any questions.
Leonard Slabbert is an accomplished senior town planner with over fifteen years’ industry experience in statutory and strategic planning, both in Australia and abroad.
He initially entered the planning profession with the aim to help grow our cities into vibrant and economically active places, but has since then come to realise that we urgently need to start focussing on planning for sustainable cities. Creating healthier, liveable and community centred places should be the main aim, with a strong focus on designing resilient cities to combat climate change.
Planners, Urban Designers and Landscape Architects will play an increasingly important role in ensuring that the future generations have a healthy and functioning living environment. Leonard feels that the challenge is with us, the current generation of professionals, to turn the tide and make it work.