Advance your career as an AILA Registered Landscape Architect. Registration is available to university-qualified landscape architects with at least two years’ full time post grad experience.
Registration intakes occur in February and August each year.
Applications for Registration will open on Sunday 1 August and close Tuesday 31 August 2021.
Unfortunately, at this stage we are not accepting applications from overseas trained Landscape Architects through the standard entry mentorship pathway, with the exception of RLA members in the United Kingdom and NZILA as well as members of HKILA who have full registration with LARB. Until now, the International Federation of Landscape Architects (IFLA) has maintained a list of accredited universities and courses. This is no longer the case and as such we have no mechanism to assess the appropriateness of these.
AILA values our overseas trained graduates and is working with our National Membership Committee to re-examine our membership policy to ensure that there is a clear, consistent and fair mechanism in place that both acknowledges the training and education undertaking and maintains the integrity of the registration process. We are not sure as to a timeline for this, however we are hoping to have something in place by the August 2021 round.
Expand your network
- attend state-based networking and events
- go international, with automatic membership of the International Federation of Landscape Architects (IFLA)
- engage with allied professions through membership of the Australian Council of Built Environment Design Professionals
See your talents recognised
- enter AILA’s State and National Awards program
- use the ‘AILA’ suffix after your name
Grow your business
- receive both individual and practice profile on our website and access to post job vacancies
Improve your expertise
- gain discounted access to workshops, seminars and online continued professional development
- contribute to National Council or state and national committees
- stay up-to-date with industry trends, insights, events and product discounts via national and state eNewsletters
Share your knowledge
- contribute to online forums and eNewsletters
- connect with the next generation through AILA’s Mentor Program
Who can apply?
Applications for Registered Landscape Architect membership are invited from landscape architecture
professionals who have completed an AILA accredited landscape architecture qualification and have been
practising for at least two years of full time work post-graduation from an accredited degree. There are a
number of options available to assist applicants’ eligibility:
- If the applicant has been a Registered Landscape Architect with AILA in the past and would like
to re-join, the applicant may apply as a Re-joining Member .
- If the applicant has been working as a landscape architect for eight or more years and has an
AILA accredited landscape architecture qualification, then the applicant may be eligible
for Senior Entry .
- If the applicant has been working as a landscape architect for less than eight years but you did
not graduate with an AILA accredited degree, then the applicant may be eligible for Equivalence .
Tax deductible fees associated with registration.
- Application fee of $220 inc. GST and Mentorship Fee of $620 inc. GST at the point an application is submitted. Applications will not be
assessed until the application and mentorship fees have been paid in full.
Annual RLA membership fee: successful applicants will be treated as Registered Landscape Architects and charged a fee calculated on a pro-rata rate based on the acceptance date to establish their fees under that financial year.
For information on on deferral fees and fees for unsuccessful applicants, please refer to our Membership Policy .
Application Process & Timeline
2021 Application Round
Application form submitted online and application/mentorship fee of $840 inc. GST paid.
AILA reviews application, including approval of proposed Mentor.
Applicant to commence 12 months mentorship program. Download Mentorship Guide .
Completed 'Mentorship Guide and Tables' submitted mid month to AILA following 12 month mentorship.
AILA Information Workshop held to help you prepare for interview (Local State Chapter will send invite and provide details).
Oral assessment/interview with State Chapter. Please click here to view relevant documents to help
prepare for your interview.
Interview results sent to National office by Chapter.
Certification - AILA issues interview results and if successful, Registration certificate.
Part-payment of the first year’s annual registration fees.
Apply (Applications open from 1- 31 August 2021)
Once you choose the APPLY NOW option, you will be prompted to complete a sign in form. If you do not have an AILA profile, please create a new profile by providing a username and password. For any assistance, please contact AILA.